- 2 x 15 oz cans of beans, any variety (good choices include white beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans and black beans) drained and rinsed
- 16 cups water or broth (if using water, see next ingredient)
- 4 tsp vegetable base (I like Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juices
- 2-4 carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced (to taste)
- 4 oz prepared pesto (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package fully-cooked chicken apple sausage (I like Aidells)
- 2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté carrots, celery, garlic and onion on medium high for about 5 minutes in oil, until starting to soften.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water, and bouillon and stir.
- Add the chicken apple sausage and stir.
- Cover and cook on medium low for about 30 minutes, until flavors come together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in pesto until fully incorporated (pesto is optional)
RECIPE NOTE: You can use an Instant Pot for this recipe. Simply follow instructions 1-3, and then put the lid on and set to “soup” setting. If you want to use a slow cooker, follow instructions 1-3 and put on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6.
This recipe should serve 6-8.
You might also like: