Do you ever wonder why I title these posts “Friday Cocktails” or “Weekend Cocktails”? It’s funny. Last night I was with a new friend and I mentioned that I really only have a cocktail on the weekends, almost never during the week. He said something to the effect of “I just thought you were this total party person who was having fabulous cocktails all the time”. Honestly that sounds like a dream, but the reason why I don’t is for a few reasons:
- They are usually quite high in calories and sugar (unless you opt for the Dirty Martini or something like vodka and club soda).
- Drinking too much alcohol (more than 7 drinks a week) is associated with higher risks of several kinds of cancer including breast cancer.
- If I drank them all the time they would be less special. it’s fun to wait all week for that tasty cocktail on Friday nights.
- It’s expensive!
- I’m a practicing Health & Wellness Consultant and if I’m going to talk the talk I also need to walk the walk.
So, I like to post new cocktail recipes on Friday or Saturday because that’s when you can usually find me enjoying one!
On that note, this Citrus Rum Punch is an absolutely fantastic new recipe you must try for your next BBQ or gathering. I made it twice last weekend for two different parties, it was that good. It’s adapted from a boozier and more intricate version from Bon Apetit but I fiddled with it to make it more accessible and much less boozy. Trust me, it still packs a wallop so take it easy. Luxardo is one of my favorite liqueurs and I always welcome a new way to use it. It’s a maraschino liqueur from Italy and it’s divine.
CITRUS RUM PUNCH
2 cups spiced rum
1 cup fresh grapefruit juice, strained (or just buy a high quality version from the store)
¾ cup fresh orange juice, strained (same as above. Co ops and Whole Foods sells freshly juiced OJ)
½ cup fresh lemon juice, strained
⅓ cup Luxardo maraschino liqueur
2 cans of all natural grapefruit soda (I bought mine at Whole Foods)
¼ cup simple syrup (easy to make. Click HERE for the recipe. Once I took it off the burner I added a piece of orange and grapefruit rind to infuse it)
1 grapefruit, sliced into rounds
2 blood orange, sliced into rounds
1 lime, sliced into rounds
- Combine rums, grapefruit juice, orange juice, lemon juice, liqueur and simple syrup in a large pitcher.
- Add citrus slices and stir.
- Just before serving, add the grapefruit soda and gently stir to combine.
- Do Ahead: Punch can be mixed 3 hours ahead. Chill.
- If a less sweet or less boozy version is desired, add a bit of club soda to each glass.
You might also like: