If you live in the U.S. chances are you’ve endured one of the hottest weeks in a very long time. Here in the north, we’ve had 115 degree heat indexes with dew points that make it nearly unbearable. I grew up in Phoenix, when 115 degrees was par for the course. But when you add oppressive humidity it becomes an entirely different ball of (melted) wax.
On days like today I feel like we all deserve a fun drink recipe to help usher in the weekend. Today I’m featuring Hot-As-Heck Margarita recipe to accompany our equally hot weather. It is said that spicy foods actually cool you down internally by stimulating the heat receptors in your mouth, which enhance circulation and in turn causes you to sweat. So, you know, drink up.
*Disclaimer: you actually need to drink a lot of non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated drinks to stay hydrated when it’s hot. Be smart!
- kosher or sea salt
- ice cubes
- 4 fluid ounces tequila
- 2 fluid ounces triple sec
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Pour enough salt onto a small, shallow plate to cover the surface. Use a wedge of lime to wet the rim of two margarita glasses.
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Pour the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, agave nectar or maple syrup, and jalapeno into a cocktail shaker over ice. Cover, and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into the prepared glasses, and garnish with lime wedges to serve.
You might also like: