You know those confessionals that contestants in reality shows step into? They sit down and pour their hearts out for all the world to hear. Yeah, I would never do that.
I will, however, tell you what my New Year has been like so far.
- I’ve said “no” to lots of things simply because I didn’t feel like saying “yes”. I consider that a good thing. It’s something I’ve been working on for, well my whole life.
- I’ve continued to have a green smoothie nearly every day, and because of that I know I’m giving myself the benefit of high-quality nutrition. It’s easy in winter to slip into eating only comfort foods. I’m glad this has become a habit that I want to continue.
- I’ve gotten some great outdoor exercise with friends in the form of snowshoeing and playing platform tennis. The sunshine and fresh air really help my mood and disposition.
- I have been enjoying my cooking adventures and have gotten some positive feedback from my family, which always makes me happy.
- I’ll start by admitting that I haven’t been to yoga in like 9 months. I know better. I mean, I REALLY KNOW BETTER. Yoga for me is like popping some sort of magical focus and well-being pill. It smooths out the edges and helps me think clearly and gives me a sense of equanimity I wouldn’t have otherwise. So why haven’t I been? It’s that thing of where you don’t do something and you don’t do something and you don’t do something and then all of a sudden it’s been so long it feels weird to go back. Yeah, I need to get over that.
- In exchange for my absence, I feel scattered and have had trouble focusing on my Nutrition Consultant schoolwork. My notes are in like four different physical places. I missed a crucial slide in a lecture.
- I also have less energy and generally feel pretty blasé. This happens in winter. I know this. Which is why I go to yoga. My husband today said “You need to go back to yoga” and I’m like, “yeah, duh”.
So, who wants to place bets on how long it’ll take me to get into the studio again? I’m pretty stubborn.
I’d love to hear from you. How do you tackle those obstacles? What things do you do that help with focus and energy? How is your 2016 going so far?
And one more thing before I go. There are two blogs that I absolutely love. The first, Word Savvy, is written by a good friend who is a brilliant writer and overall fantastic person. Her musings on life and academia and literature always make me happy.
The second, Pronto Pup, is the most hilarious food blog you’ll ever encounter. It’s dry and witty and totally NSFW in the best ways. It is guaranteed to make you laugh and possibly snort, too.
Until next time!