I continued making my way through the It’s All Good cookbook this evening with a grilled salmon recipe. I bought salmon at the farmer’s market a couple of weeks ago from a man who catches it himself from the waters off of Alaska and packages it right on his boat. Then it’s flash frozen. He told me that when I’m cooking it, it should smell like the ocean and not fishy. Well, he was right. It smelled fresh and tasted even more delicious. It was definitely a quality piece of fish. I served it with roasted Brussels sprouts and quartered potatoes.
The recipe was so simple even a tween could make it. I think I’ll be teaching my almost 11 year old this one.
Salmon (the wild-caught kind from the Atlantic ocean has the highest concentration of Omega 3’s) is so healthy for you. Omega 3 fatty acids are wonderful for heart and brain health. They also promote healthy joints and skin, and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, adults should have two servings of omega 3-rich foods per week.
GRILLED SALMON WITH GRILLED LEMON VINAIGRETTE (adapted from the It’s All Good cookbook)
- Four 6-oz salmon fillets or one large fillet of equitable size
- 2 T olive oil for grilling, plus 1/2 cup for the dressing
- Sea salt
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (I like the Lighthouse brand of dried chives in the off-season)
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Add the fish, skin side down and drizzle with the 2T of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Cook until firm, about 4 minutes on each size. After you flip the first time, add some fresh black pepper and more salt and garlic powder.
- At the same time, grill the lemons, cut side down. Watch them and remove when they are softened and the flesh has darkened.
- When the salmon is done, transfer to a platter and let rest.
- Squeeze the grilled lemons into a bowl that already contains the 1/2 c olive oil and chopped herbs.
- Serve salmon with the dressing on the side
I think we will have to make the granola next — it’s back-to-school and we are needing some quick and healthy breakfast options.
Until next time!