Ok, so last night we were lucky enough to be invited to a private event at the Children’s Theater Company in Minneapolis which included the coolest theater experience we’ve ever had (a fully immersive and interactive performance of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) followed by a traditional lobster boil by Smack Shack. It was amazing.
I woke up this morning feeling like I wanted to eat a bit lighter, and I had some leftover cooked quinoa and tofu from the Veggie Dumplings we made yesterday so I decided I’d make a salad for my family to have for lunch today. I wanted something light and easy. I had some fresh green onions and cucumbers from the farmer’s market in the fridge and peas in the freezer. I always have garlic powder, salt and pepper, so those were no-brainers. Below is the recipe I created, which is totally vegan. It’s easy to sub out the tofu for another protein of your choice: beans, feta cheese, even shredded chicken.
QUINOA AND VEGGIE SALAD
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (I like adding a bit of vegetable Better Than Bouillon to mine when cooking)
- 1/2 cup crumbled firm tofu
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup parsley
- course sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together (think you can manage?)
This would be an easy salad to double the recipe and keep it around for lunches and side dishes all week.